UPDATE: Last night’s episode is free to watch online.
Aaron Sorkin, creator of HBO’s “The Newsroom,” tells David Carr:
I don’t know anything about ratings (and I’ve had the ratings to back that up) but if I were the president of CNN I would put the smartest news people I know in a room and ask, ‘What would a utopian news show look like?’ and then I’d ask “What’s stopping us from doing that?”
Then Carr offers his recipe for CNN success:
Leave the Tot Mom to others and stick to coming up with a well-cooked, nutritious news diet. Why not ride through the news cycle with some dignity and feed a loyal, reliable audience, standing by for when the world threatens to blow apart and ratings skyrocket?
* Aaron Sorkin’s newsroom as a lofty map for CNN (New York Times)
* Dan Rather reviews the show for Gawker, says “there’s a lot to like” about it (Gawker.com)
* Former “Nightline” anchor Dave Marash says the series is “as real about news as Jack and the Beanstalk.” (CJR)
* Andrew Romano says Sorkin’s new show is flawed (DailyBeast.com) | David Zurawik loves it (BaltimoreSun.com)
* You can’t recap a Sorkin show without recapping Sorkin (vulture.com)
* Michael Wolff: Sorkin treats today’s TV news business as though it were 1976 (Guardian)