A memo to Bloomberg staffers reminds them “it is totally appropriate to negotiate with a news source to get something initially said on background moved on-the-record, so it can be used in a story” but “what isn’t fine is sending quotes to the source or a press office for their revision or rewriting. In such a case, you would no longer know who is actually uttering/writing the words, and it is no longer a negotiation but a surrender of editorial control.”
Read the full memo from executive editor Susan Goldberg and others after the jump.
Yesterday I asked The State editor Mark Lett why his reporter’s story on Gov. Nikki Haley’s 14-year-old daughter getting a Statehouse gift shop job was pulled from McClatchy websites.
Lett tells Romenesko readers:
The story was not spiked. It was held as we pursued answers to additional questions. That effort is continuing.
A draft of the story — identified as not ready for publication — was improperly published on web sites in Rock Hill and Charlotte, and in the printed edition of the Rock Hill newspaper. Rock Hill and Charlotte are “sister” publications to The State. Those newspapers operate inside a common computer system.
You can read the story here.
* Earlier: Story about Gov. Nikki Haley’s daughter getting Statehouse job vanishes (JimRomenesko.com)
I’ve asked Dianna Baumann about the Forum’s ban on same-sex wedding/engagement notices and will post her response when/if it comes in.
UPDATE: The Forum says the policy is under review.
Earlier this month, Times-Picayune reporter Kari Dequine Harden told Romenesko readers that “I desperately want my job until October because I love it. But I also can’t just keep my mouth shut and pretend everything is okay, or that it doesn’t matter.” She gave me permission to post the email that she sent to the newspaper’s top brass on July 8 (One line: “I can tell you that everyone hates our website and is losing respect for us as a hard news leader”).
Dequine Harden sends this update:
I met with Jim Amoss and Lynn Cunningham this morning. They reached out to me following my July 8 email and wanted to talk to me in person about my concerns.
They spent much of the 30 minutes listening to me (more calmly and without expletives) detail my issues with our website and concerns about losing readers. They were very receptive, and indicated that the website is something that will undergo changes.
I appreciated the opportunity to explain myself from a place of less rage. They also confirmed that I am being given the option to stay on in my same role as a weekend reporter until Sept. 30.
* Earlier: “I can’t keep my mouth shut and pretend everything is okay” (JimRomenesko.com)
Gallagher in 1998
In 1998, Michael Gallagher pleaded guilty to two felony charges accusing him of accessing Chiquita’s voice-mail system for a hard-hitting series about the company. (It ran in an 18-page special section.) The Cincinnati Enquirer fired Gallagher, apologized to Chiquita Brands and paid it more than $10 million to avoid being sued.
The Enquirer reports today that Gallagher, who was sentenced to five years probation in 1998, had his record expunged last week by a Hamilton County judge. “Legally, that’s the same as saying Gallagher’s thefts, his conviction and sentence never happened,” writes Kimball Perry.
* Fired Cincinnati Enquirer reporter has his criminal record erased (cincinnati.com)
Stories from 1998:
* How Enquirer’s hard-hitting Chiquita investigation unraveled (AJR)
* Chiquita still under a cloud after Enquirer’s retreat (NYT)
* An apology to Chiquita (enquirer.com)
Um…. this has been around for a while:
What does Washington Post ThinkTanked blogger Allen McDuffee think about The Daily also using Think Tanked? “Maybe Google is disabled on their iPads,” he says.
* @ThinkTankedWaPo to The Daily’s @shasharma: Did you guys Google Think Tanked?
A Romenesko reader who doesn’t want to be named writes:
I used to work in Afghanistan so I follow the bylines from there closely. On Monday I noticed Rod Nordland — an Afghanistan regular for the NYT — had a byline out of Iraq. Huh, I thought. He’s getting around.
Then I noticed he also had a byline out of Egypt. Not bad. And those two bylines came only one day after an Afghanistan byline. I know that papers hold stories and that writers frequently can have two stories appear on the same day from two different locations. But datelines from Egypt, Iraq and Afghanistan all within 24 hours of one another might be a new record. (Obviously the Afghanistan story looks like a project story that was likely held in the editing/remote reporting stage for a while.)
The Baton Rouge Advocate plans to add staff for a new New Orleans edition to launch this fall. CEO Richard Manship says:
This has to have significant news in it. This is not just an attempt to sell more papers. We will be trying to cover the news in New Orleans. From the moment that they announced that they were going to a three-day-a-week newspaper, we thought there would be tremendous opportunities for The Advocate to fill a void they’re creating.
He warns that the Advocate “can’t staff a ton of people down there” and that “we actually have to make money doing this. And so, we’ll start out with what we think can get the job done.”
The Baton Rouge paper closed its New Orleans bureau in May 2009, when it laid off 49 staffers.
* Advocate plans localized edition for New Orleans (theadvocate.com)
* Advocate plans to expand into New Orleans (4 graf story plus comments) (NOLA.com)
* Nonprofit NOLA Beat plans to cover five “key focus beats” (Gambit)