“I thought the gig Herb Caen had was kind of what I wanted, more than his writing style,” says Time magazine columnist Joel Stein.
I think I realized that Dave Barry was funnier than I’ll ever be, and he made no attempt to make any actual points. He had a general libertarian point of view, but in general, he just liked to make jokes. As he later told me, he wished his stuff was on the comics page, because then people wouldn’t ask him what his point was.
* Interview with Joel Stein. (therumpus.net)
* Sulzberger’s “Invest in the Times” growth strategy explained. (capitalnewyork.com)
* NYT Co.’s new CEO doesn’t have much to celebrate. (investorplace.com)
* University of Georgia Red and Black board members are meeting today. (suwanee.patch.com)
* Alan Brake takes over as executive editor of The Architect’s Newspaper. (observer.com)
* “Time to think outside of the honor box” in Philadelphia. (phawker.com)
* Al Roker suggests Matt Lauer threw Ann Curry under the bus. (vanityfair.com)
* Reality-show host Gen. Wesley Clark aims to have young people “see the military through the eyes of Nick Lachey.” (tnr.com)