Was thinking about jumping out the window, but seeing how I’m on the 1st floor & still on deadline, I’ll back away from the ledge. #nctimes
— david ogul (@ogul) September 12, 2012
Doug Manchester, the conservative owner of U-T San Diego, visited North County Times on Tuesday after announcing that he had just bought it from Lee Enterprises for nearly $12 million.
Here’s what he told the staff, according to NCT reporter Brandon Lowery. Here are his tweets:
* “Papa Doug” wants to be cheerleader for our community. [U-T San Diego CEO John] Lynch says he wants all NCT staffers to interview to keep their positions.
* He said he wants to keep all of the “winners.” Interviews will start Monday with UT HR, Lynch says
* This will not be our last acquisition, Lynch says. Goal is to build real significant company here in America.
According to the North County Times story on the meeting, CEO Lynch also told his new employees: “Papa Doug has reinvested in the business, and people think we’re a little crazy for that. But the fact is, we believe if you give people the product they want, the newspaper will be read. Our circulation has grown over the last few months We’ve upgraded the kind of newsprint we use, the color, the amount of pictures and the in-depth stories.”
* Manchester consolidates power with second newspaper buy (voiceofsandiego.org)
* The two faces of Papa Doug Manchester (voiceofsandiego.org)
* U-T San Diego to buy North County Times (nctimes.com)
* U-T San Diego to buy North County Times for nearly $12M (utsandiego.com)