Joel Mathis’s plan to save Philadelphia’s dailies:
– Turn the Philadelphia Inquirer into a digital-only subscription publication — except for Sundays when the paper would be delivered to homes.
– Take the Daily News offline and continue to it print six days a week.
* New York Times Co. has enough cash to go private. (Bloomberg.com)
* What an Adweek writer thinks of HuffPost Live after watching it for three days: (Adweek.com)
* University of Memphis paper struggles with budget cuts and a tight-lipped administration. (MemphisFlyer.com)
* Media critic Eric Deggans urges struggling CNN to shake things up. (NPR.org/audio)
* Confusion at the New York Magazine vs. New York Times Magazine softball game. (nytimes.com)
* There’s a free hotline for journalists covering the political conventions. (rcfp.org)
* Send news tips, links, memos and gossip to Romenesko at email@example.com