Being inexperienced with cannabis consumption and having little to no experience with it in its edible form, Maureen Dowd should have done the responsible thing and researched the effects of ingested cannabis.
It is unwise for any individual to consume any substance that has effects on the body and mind with no prior knowledge of potential outcomes. Fortunately for Dowd, marijuana is not alcohol or countless currently regulated pharmaceutical drugs. Marijuana is non-toxic and cannot cause a lethal overdose, so while she had an unpleasant evening, no lasting damage was done. If it was another substance, the result could have possibly been actual death, instead of just an imagined one.
That being said, this highlights an evolving area in marijuana commerce and edible products, which should be required to be labeled with recommended dosage and overall potency. Marijuana retail outlets should also make more of an effort to educate and assist new and inexperienced consumers to ensure they have a desirable experience and are equipped with the information required to consume responsibly to avoid these potential adverse side effects.
Colorado is actually already in the process of implementing requirements for edible labeling and testing, and these regulations will be rolled out over the course of the summer. Consumers should be informed that such products possess delayed onset and prolonged duration of effect. Proper education and the imposition of sensible regulations — not criminal prohibition — are the best strategies to address such health concerns.
* While in Denver, Dowd was warned about edible marijuana (thecannabist.co)
* Dowd says she didn’t expense her pot purchase (businessinsider.com)
* Twenty reactions to Dowd’s column (thecannabist.co) | Dowd has a defender (thestranger.com)
* Exclusive image of Dowd’s run-in with the pot candy bar (@vanityfair)